Please read through each step very carefully before making travel arrangements for your child. If, after reading through each step, you still have questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Step 1: Determine if your child is REQUIRED to travel with a parent or chaperone
Depending on a child’s age, an airline may require a family to purchase unaccompanied minor service when they travel without a parent or chaperone. Each airline has their own rules about how old a child must be to travel alone. They also have age restrictions for traveling overseas, rules about times of day children can fly, and rules about connecting flights. It is very important that you understand the airline rules about this BEFORE you book a flight because AwesomeMath does NOT provide assistance with children classified as unaccompanied minors. NO EXCEPTIONS!
- a parent or other qualified chaperone, MUST accompany the child to/from camp
- the parent will be responsible for finding someone (other than AwesomeMath Staff) to meet their child at their arrival gate and escort them to our staff in baggage claim. This also means the child’s parent must find a qualified chaperone (other than AwesomeMath Staff) to wait with their child at their departure gate until an airline agent can assume care of their child.
- Consider flying an alternate airline that allows a child to fly alone at a younger age.
- AwesomeMath is happy to connect you with parents of other older students who have been accepted to our camp from your local area. You may be able to coordinate flying with another student who is of age to be considered your child’s chaperone on a flight. Please email email@example.com, any time after March 27, 2020.
- Consider attending a different camp location/session which has a flight option to allow your child to fly alone or with older students attending camp.
Step 2: Review dates, times, and airports we serve BEFORE booking your flights
Flights should be SCHEDULED to arrive/depart according to the table below:
|Univ. of Puget Sound||Cornell
|Arrival Date||June 22, 2020||June 24, 2020||July 12, 2020|
|Arrival Times||8:00am – 4:00pm||8:00am – 4:00pm||8:00am – 4:00pm||8:00am – 4:00pm|
|Airport||DFW (Dallas Ft Worth) or
DAL (Dallas Love Field)
|SYR (Syracuse Intl) or
ITH (Ithaca Regional)
|SEA (Seattle-Tacoma Intl)||SYR (Syracuse Intl) or
ITH (Ithaca Regional)
|Departure Date||*||July 10, 2020 **||July 12, 2020 **||July 30, 2020 **|
|Departure Times||3:00pm – 7:00pm||8:30am – 2:00pm||8:30am – 2:00pm||8:30am – 2:00pm|
Step 3: Learn more about our student shuttle service to/from campus
- We offer free shuttle service (for students only) to and from the airport but only if the student’s flight is scheduled to arrive/depart according to the dates, times, and airports listed in the table above.
- On arrival day students will be transported to campus by shuttle service that is arranged ahead of time according to scheduled arrival times. Students should be prepared to wait in the airport, under the supervision of a staff member, until the next available shuttle can take them to campus.
- On departure day, we arrange for groups of students to leave for the airport together on a bus or large van. Transportation is arranged ahead of time based on flight departures times. The bus or van must leave early enough for the person with the first departure time to make their flight, so please expect that some students may have a longer than usual wait time at the airport prior to departure. To minimize wait time in the airport, we recommend you book an earlier flight rather than a later one when possible.
- UT Dallas – first shuttle to the airport will depart from campus approx. 12:45pm. For students traveling alone, we strongly encourage parents to book a flight that is earlier in the day to avoid long waits at the airport. In other words, if your child’s flight is scheduled to depart after 7pm it means they will be waiting at the airport unaccompanied for a longer period of time.
- Cornell/Univ of Puget Sound – on departure day our last shuttle will leave campus for the airport at approximately 11:45am. We strongly encourage parents to book a flight that is earlier in the day to avoid long waits at the airport. In other words, if your child’s flight is scheduled to depart after 2pm it means they will be waiting at the airport unaccompanied for a longer period of time.
Step 4: Read carefully answers to the most frequently asked questions
If a flight is cancelled and there are no other flight options for that same day, parents will be responsible for making alternate arrangements and will assume any costs associated with transportation to camp. We understand this is out of one’s control, but our staff will be busy with scheduled activities after arrival day.
Step 5: Review our procedures for meeting our staff at the airport
- Upon arrival, students should head directly to baggage claim for their flight.
- Our staff will meet students at baggage claim for their flight and they will be wearing AwesomeMath T-shirts.
- If no staff member is immediately visible, students should stay at their baggage claim area for their flight until an AwesomeMath staff member arrives.
- All students traveling alone are required to have a fully charged cell phone that is capable of receiving calls/texts from the United States
- Our staff will have each student’s flight information, as well as the student and parent contact information. They will be regularly monitoring the students’ flight information for delays, arrival gate changes, baggage claim information, etc.